Having children and watching them grow is one of the most magical experiences of being a mother. However, childbearing can permanently alter your body in ways that are not flattering. Flattened breasts, sagging skin, wider hips and belly fat are all hazards of breast feeding and childbearing. If you are a mother looking to regain your pre-pregnancy body, you can consider a mommy makeover.
A mommy makeover is customized with several plastic surgery procedures that targets the troubled areas in a woman done having babies. Mommy makeovers often include liposuctions, breast lifts, breast augmentation and tummy tucks. This may seem like an extreme thing to do just to get back your post-baby body, but these procedures are worth it and most women who have had a mommy makeover say they feel happier and feel good about themselves after the surgery.
Before getting a mommy makeover, it is important to know what to expect since it entails multiple surgical procedures. You need to plan ahead and be prepared both mentally and physically for these procedures. What are the do’s and don’ts for your mommy makeover procedure?
Before Mommy Makeover Surgery
- Talk to your spouse about your decision to have a mommy makeover. If your kids are old enough to understand the procedures, you should also include them in the decision making. When they ask questions, answer them honestly so that they understand that you are making an informed choice. Having your family stand by you will make it easier to go through the surgery.
- Before your mommy makeover, you need to quit smoking.
- If you have prescriptions that you take on a regular basis, ensure they are refilled before the surgical procedures. Also ensure that you have enough pain pills that you will take while you recover.
- Ask your plastic surgeon how much recuperation time you will need so that you can request time off work well in advance and also have someone over to help take care of you and your family after the surgeries.
- Prepare in advance your recovery station. Ensure that you setup the space with supplies that will keep you comfortable.
- You should not consume alcohol days before your surgery to avoid complicating the procedures.
- Ensure that you don’t have a baby fever and be certain that you are really done having more children before undergoing surgery.
- Try not to add more weight before your surgery.
After Mommy Makeover Surgery
- Right after surgery and a couple days later, you need to take it easy and resist the urge to get out of the bed.
- Expect pain during the recovery period but ensure you use your pain meds as prescribed by your surgeon.
- If you encounter any surprises during recovery, do not hesitate to ask your surgeon if what is taking place normal or not.
- Ensure that you go to all your post-operative appointments.
Do not get surprised when you experience mixed emotions after surgery. Pain meds and anesthesia can have an impact on your mind as well as your body.
Do not get frustrated if you do not see the full results immediately. It does take months after the procedures for the transformation to be visible.
This article was not written by Dr. Robert S. Fischer M.D and may not represent his views. To talk to Dr. Robert S. Fischer M.D. please contact the office directly.